Sunday, June 10, 2012

Proud to Serve...

My dad ended his service with the Utah National Guard today (finally) after 37 years of service.  I have been begging him for years to get out because I always feared he would be activated again.  He never would and kept insisting that he was going to stay in until they made him retire.  A couple of months ago my dad received a notice that he would be retiring on July 1, 2012.  When you are in the military you can retire after 20 years, but every year you stay in after that adds to your retirement.  My dad's Colonel told us that the military is mostly young people so for someone to be in as long as my dad is rare.  I am very proud of his service and desire to serve our country.  The military has given this small town farm boy a chance to see the world and I know he has friends and memories to last a lifetime.
My Mom surprised him with this cake from Amanda.  It was quite the hit with all the army guys.

The Colonel gave the kids a souvenir


Colonel Price presenting my mom flowers


He was given about a million mementos during the ceremony.  He also received a letter from Governor Herbert and President Obama.

This is the Utah 2 Star General of the National Guard.  General Tarbet and my dad have been friends and he was kind enough to come down on his day off to be there.



Harlo, Karen, Paul, Sharleen
Cael, & Halle


My dad's family is so awesome to support.
 Bart's family, Karen, & Bonnie



Sharleen, Glen, Dad, Clyde, & Virginia

This picture hangs in the head quarters.  My mom's dad is sitting on the front.  He served in both WWII with the Navy and then enlisted with the Nation Guard and then served in Korea.  I wish I could get a better photo of this.

This picture has my Dad and several other Nephites in it.
We found Casey's Grandpa Smith's name on the wall.  This wall only had the name of the soldiers who serve in each War for the National Guard.  My Grandpa Earl wasn't on here because he was drafted into the army.  So basically these are the people from Nephi who enlisted in the Guard before they were drafted.

No comments: