Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gunnison Tournament....

Today was round 2 of wrestling tournaments and this weekend we headed south to Gunnison. We woke up early and cooked Cael a good breakfast before heading down. Weigh-in's were until 9 am so we headed down about 8 which is a typical out-of-the-house time for us, but for some reason this morning I felt rushed. Last weekend Cael struggled and during practice this week he kept acting like he didn't want to listen or be there. We don't expect him to win every match, but we do expect him to try hard every time. This morning he seemed excited to go so I was hoping he would have a better outcome. After they weighed-in we found a seat and it didn't take long for the matches to start. He has actually gained the weight back that he lost from being sick and weighed in at 57 lbs. Cael was one of the first matches and for some reason he decided to be stubborn and not go out on the mat. He has never done this before and I couldn't figure out why. I had over heard my dad teasing him that he was going to have to wrestle a 4th grader, but I don't know for sure if that's why or if he just wanted to be difficult. I could see Casey pushing him onto the mat and by the time I made it down there he was giving this look. I hate this whiny-pouty face! Once again, he said he wanted to come so we expect him to give 100% and not throw fits. He did Ok during the match, but kept acting like he didn't care. The kid ended up winning by points and when Cael came off the mat he was still doing the pouty face. I took him aside and asked what his problem was and if he wanted to go home. He said nothing was wrong and that he wanted to stay. I told him he better knock-off the attitude and wrestle then.

I want to say that it was my pep-talk that flipped the switched, but what ever it was I am very thankful because he went from frowny face to power house by the next match and pinned the kid. He can be so strong if he puts his mind to it.


Gavyn had a bye the first match and won his second by completely dominating the match.


Cael's last match was against a kid from North Sevier that had already beat the kid that Cael had lost too in the first match. I was thinking that he would probably make short work of Cael, but to my surprise Cael totally stepped it up and dominated the kid the whole match. I was so proud of him!! It didn't even matter what he placed because we were just glad that he finally got some confidence and performed his best.



Gavyn's last match was against a Strickland kid from Team Takedown. Gav took him down right off, but got in a bad position and in the end got pinned. He was upset and when I told him he did a good job he said "i'm just havin some bad days...". He is so funny!
We were excited when they announced that Cael had tied for First Place with two other boys!! They all three had won two and lost one. Good Job Buddy!

T.K. Michaela - North Sanpete, Cael, Colton Noyse- North Sevier, and Tyler Harward- Gunnison.
Gavyn took second place, I guess he wasn't having such a bad day after all!

Our little Wasp Wrestlers...
Gavyn, Cael, & Cooper

No comments: