Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Certified...

I don't usually post stuff about my job, but the last 6 months I have been consumed. First let me explain what I do. I have worked at the Nephi Medical Clinic for 12 years. I was hired as an annoying teenager to help do some computer work and filing temporarily. You can tell how that worked out. As my Senior year came to an end I decided that I wanted to work in the medical enviroment and decided to enroll in a medical office management course through The American Institute of Medical/Dental Technology...I know it's a mouth full. They have now changed their name to Ameritech. During this year I was introduced to Coding and it quickly caught my attention because A-it's hard and complicated & B-my instuctor said they made good money. We only spent a couple of weeks learning about it and I don't remember doing that great on my test, but I was always interested in it. After finishing, I was hired as a full-time receptionist and did this for about 8 months until I talked my boss at the time, Marge Morgan, into letting me do Coding full-time. Coding is basically taking a medical record and converting it into a series of codes that are submitted on a form to the insurance company so that they know what services were performed and for what diagnosis. This also requires an extensive knowledge of Anatomy, Terminology, detailed guidelines, Medicare, and hundreds of other rules that change from year to year. When I started this job 9 years ago I started a class to prepare me to get Certified. It didn't take long to realize that with my little experience and knowledge that there was no way I could pass the test. So after a marriage, building a house, 2 kids, and several other speed bumps I decided to tackle it again. At the end of April I started a prep class so I could be ready for the 6 hour test. The certification requires you have knowledge in all specialties. In our little hospital I only have experience in Family Practice, Ob/Gyn, and for only the last year Orthopeadics. I had tons to learn and that mixed with being a wife, mother, employee, Primary president, maid, laundry service, and Soccer mom left me feeling on the verge of madness! There were several late late nights, staying home from fun things, and complete weekends spent infront of the computer studying. In the end I have learned Loads! I took my test on Oct 15 and found out today that I passed! Yahoo! My next goal is to earn my business degree, but that won't be anytime soon probably more like empty nester years! Oh and there was a lot of Caffiene involved too...


And for the record I love my job and working part-time. There was a point after I had Kensie that I could have stayed home. For several years I worked full-time for health insurance and dreamed of being able to stay home everyday. Once that was actually an option I still chose to work part time. Why??? 1- I love coding and the fabulous people I work with. They are truely some of my closest friends and I love spending time with them. 2- I love the feeling of making my own money. Casey is a great provider and always makes sure that we have everything we need. He has never forced or guilted me into working and fully supports my decision. He does feel a little guilty everytime someone stands up in church and thanks their husband for letting them stay home. I just tell him I'll get up and thank him for letting me work since it actually requires him to do much more around the house and with the kids. 3- I love the out. Yes, I love my kids to pieces. Yes, I enjoy spending time with them, but No I don't feel like my kids have to be glued to my hip for them to know that I love them and they are my #1 priority. If me working ever started to affect them I would quit in a second, but so far it works for us. I often times feel like the working mom gets a bad rap on leaving their kids especially in the LDS church. In reality working is my out so I don't have time for other hobbies. When I'm home I try and make every minute count which leads to me never exercizing, facebooking, crafting and my blog getting months behind. I guess what I'm trying to say is every family is different and shouldn't be judged on how they choose to spend their time. I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to have a job that is flexible and allows me to have the best of both worlds. I know it doesn't work for everybody, but I love keeping busy and it works for us.

No comments: