With the economy the way it is and Casey's non-stop paranoia about the end of the world, we decided to be domestic and Bottle. I'm pretty sure it's my new obsession! Over labor day we harvested our corn and a box a pears. During the week me and Casey did a batch of salsa for 12 pints. So I was totally pumped to learn how to do peaches. My mom, the domestic goddess, came and helped me and Jakoye do 3 boxes of peaches. It was actually really fast with three hands working. Jakoye got 17 quarts out of her box and I got 33 quarts out of my 2 boxes. The next week my neighbor Becky wanted to learn so we did another 2 boxes of peaches and 2 boxes of tomatoes for salsa. All together I ended up with 300 pints of corn bottled and frozen, 50 quarts of peaches, 13 quarts of pears, and close to 50 pints of Salsa. Our family garden was pretty much done for the year except for the pumpkins and potatoes. We ended up with close to 75 pumpkins so we invited the neighbors and friends to come get some. The kids had a blast picking out their own.
The only thing left was a few watermelon and our 250+ potato plants. Kaitlyn and Abbie came down with us and they had a blast riding the tractor(Kaitlyn) and finding potatoes(Abbie). It didn't take long to fill the back of the truck! Hopefully we can keep them good since the pit was full of water when we went to store them. I'm sure papa Reid will figure something out! Over all the Garden was a huge success and I can't wait for next year.
see more pics @ http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=116293&id=1332408589&l=2563310854
No comments:
Post a Comment