Saturday, November 3, 2012

Zion's 2012

We spent our 10th wedding anniversary in Zion's with our good friends the Blackett's who are also going to be celebrating their 10th.  We headed down late on Thursday and stopped at Archelle's in Beaver for dinner which is always yummy.  The next morning we ate at the Bear Paw in St. George and headed to Zion's for a day of hiking.  Most couples spend their anniversary on a beach somewhere soaking up the love they have for each other while others go hiking up angels landing hoping they're not going to die from falling 10 million feet or the elements.  Now it's no secret I'm out of shape so I was really starting to question this vacation, but once I got going it turned out to be really fun and rewarding.  We made it through "Wally's Wiggle" and rested at a look off point before heading on the chained area out to the point.  I'm terrified of heights and the thought of having to use a chain to live threw the ordeal made my stomach drop.  Casey said we would just go as far as I felt comfortable.  Well once we got going I was surprised at how comfortable I was, but Smitty on the other hand started to get really nervous and I found myself encouraging him.  We then reached a flat spot where a man was sitting.  Casey asked if the trail got better and the man replied " I don't know this is as far as I made it.  My life is worth more."  Casey refused to go on so we turned back.  Brady and Tenille were the true mountain goats and made it clear out to the point.  While waiting for them I became the profession picture taker for everyone coming back.  I think if I would of had some pop and refreshments I could have made a fortune.  It's funny the people you meet at a National Park.  First we ran into two Australian's that were on holiday.  They had no plans and were just touring the country.  I think learning about different cultures is amazing. We also made friends with a couple from Colorado who were on their honeymoon.  When we got back to St. George we went and ate at 
Anasazi's Steak House.  Dr. Taylor recommended it and we loved every bite.  You actually cook your steak on a rock at your table.  It was so good Casey said he didn't want his steak to end and being his wife I tried not to take it personal. 




The Narrows. 









This is the sign at the start of the chained area.  Six people have died since 2004 on this, but it didn't say when the sign was put up.  I know someone had died the weekend before we went.




 















 
We ended the night with a round of bowling where Tenille dominated the competition.  The Next morning we had planned on doing a temple session so we stopped and had a quick bite at Kneaders.  We made it just in time for the next session and it was a full house.  The temple was beautiful and I loved all the woodwork.  Me and Casey have a goal to try and go to as many temples as possible.  After the session we toured the grounds and visitor center.  We learned some interesting facts about the temple and neat events that have happened there.  Brigham Young had the plans drafted for the temple and wanted it to resemble the Nauvoo temple.  He would spend his winters in St. George managing the building and then return to Salt Lake in the Spring.  After returning back one winter he was surprised to see that the men were not following his plans and had changed the shape of the steeple.  He was not happy and told the men to change it and follow his plans.  The dedication date was coming soon so he decided they could wait until after to fix it.  After the dedication he kept on the men to change it back to the plans until his death.  Shortly after his death lightning struck the steeple and caught fire.  It was then reconstructed to follow the original plans that Brigham Young had wanted.  I guess he finally got his point across.

It was a great weekend and even better company.
 

No comments: